iBeacon was the foremost from Apple in 2013 that launched, but its growth is less than expected. The fact cannot be denied that Apple has been seriously protective about the iBeacon standard, yet the peculiar market situation has brought Google’s Eddystone into the focus.
Bluetooth Low Energy is a smarter version of the regular Bluetooth wireless technology. It means it is Bluetooth basically, that takes less power to operate, features high security, costs less and is compatible with major operating systems. iBeacon is Apple’s version used to offer location based services to iOS devices.
Eddystone is a new Bluetooth Low Energy open beacon from Google. It is a protocol specification defining a BLE format of message for beacon messages. It assigns several types of frames that may be used in combinations or individually to create beacons so that it is used for various applications. The concept is beacons in the real world help users and apps the same way as lighthouses guide in the night the ship captains.
How it works
Bluetooth beacons are tiny transmitters that constantly give out signals to nearby devices, thereby transmitting information about an interesting point.
Indexsy, Vancouver SEO Consultant
These signals are seized by the mobile devices of the users. In Eddystone, two APIs are available such that they can find a nearby beacon and information is send when you are in a specific range or location. Developers can set up apps in the devices of users and perform certain functions or if the relevant apps are not available in listening devices, push URLs to open the browsers and display contents in the user devices.
Difference of iBeacon and Eddystone
- iBeacon is the intellectual property of Apple, while Eddystone is from Google as a open source available under Apache v2.0 licence.
- iBeacon is available only for iOS devices and the Eddystone is for iOS and Android devices. It supports is built such that it can be used through a library equally on iOS.
- iBeacon supports one data packet type advertising only, while Eddystone supports multiple data packet types featuring Eddystone-UID and URL.
- iBeacon does not monitor the condition of beacon, while Eddystone TLM broadcasts health status of the beacon and this helps the fleet management that is less frequently broadcasted than the data packets.
- iBeacon offers two API methods to detect iBeacon devices such that it works when the app is active and offers proximity estimations. Eddystone supports the iOS and Android. it offers proximity estimates and works when the app is active.